The President’s Immigration Accountability Executive Actions
Based on President Obama’s briefing at White House on 11/20/2014, the following is the brief components of the action plan to use his executive authority to partially improve the U.S. immigration system.
The details are still being worked out at this time; merits of many will be updated as details are revealed.
- Deferred Action for Parent (DAP). Parents of U.S. citizen and lawful permanent resident children (of any age) who have been continuously present since 01/01/2010, and who pass background checks and pay taxes, will be eligible to apply for deferred action, which will be granted for a 3-year period. The plan is to stand this up within 180 days (for applications to be accepted).
- Expansion of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) to remove the age cap and move the continuous presence date up to January 1, 2010. DACA will now be granted for 3 years (including those with pending renewal applications). Ready in 90 days.
- Replacement of the controversial Secure Communities program with a “Priority Enforcement Program” program the details of which are still unclear.
- Ensuring that job-creating entrepreneurs have legal means to enter and operate in the U.S. Also, entrepreneurs, researchers, inventors, and founders will be eligible for national interest waivers. This will be implemented through policy guidance.
- Increasing access for university affiliated businesses to key talent.
- Allowing spouses and children of lawful permanent residents to apply for unlawful presence waivers from within the U.S. and ensuring appropriate standards for adjudicating those waivers.
- Enabling families of individuals trying to enlist in the armed forces to utilize parole in place to ensure legal status.
- Changing the procedures for adjustment of status to allow legal immigrants caught in the immigration quota backlogs to register their applications and thus begin the final step of the process.
- Directing agencies to look at modernizing the visa system, with a view to making optimal use of the numbers of visa available under law.
- Announcement of a new border security campaign and plan.
For more information contact us.